- 1 What is a good BMI number?
- 2 What do BMI numbers mean?
- 3 How is BMI calculated?
- 4 What does a BMI of 30 or higher mean?
- 5 What is the most attractive BMI for a woman?
- 6 What is ideal BMI for female?
- 7 What diseases are associated with a high BMI?
- 8 How do I determine my ideal weight?
- 9 Why do doctors still use BMI?
- 10 How do I know if I am overweight for my age?
- 11 What weight is considered skinny?
- 12 What BMI should a man be?
What is a good BMI number?
For most adults, an ideal BMI is in the 18.5 to 24.9 range. For children and young people aged 2 to 18, the BMI calculation takes into account age and gender as well as height and weight. If your BMI is: below 18.5 – you’re in the underweight range.
What do BMI numbers mean?
BMI stands for Body Mass Index This is a numerical value of your weight in relation to your height. A BMI between 18.5 and 25 kg/m² indicates a normal weight. A BMI of less than 18.5 kg/m² is considered underweight. A BMI between 25 kg/m² and 29.9 kg/m² is considered overweight.
How is BMI calculated?
How is BMI calculated? With the metric system, the formula for BMI is weight in kilograms divided by height in meters squared. Calculate BMI by dividing weight in pounds (lbs) by height in inches (in) squared and multiplying by a conversion factor of 703.
What does a BMI of 30 or higher mean?
If your BMI is less than 18.5, it falls within the underweight range. If your BMI is 18.5 to <25, it falls within the healthy weight range. If your BMI is 25.0 to <30, it falls within the overweight range. If your BMI is 30.0 or higher, it falls within the obesity range.
What is the most attractive BMI for a woman?
These studies have found that a low waist to hip ratio (WHR) of approximately 0.7  and a low Body Mass Index (BMI; weight scaled for height) of approximately 18–19 kg/m2  are perceived as most attractive in female bodies, while a low waist to chest ratio (WCR) of approximately 0.7, and relatively high BMI (
What is ideal BMI for female?
A BMI of 18.5–24.9 is considered normal or healthy for most women. Even though healthcare professionals can use BMI as a screening tool, they shouldn’t use it as a method to evaluate a person’s body fat levels or health status ( 32 ). Keep in mind that health is much more than body weight or body composition.
What diseases are associated with a high BMI?
Being obese can also increase your risk of developing many potentially serious health conditions, including:
- type 2 diabetes.
- high blood pressure.
- high cholesterol and atherosclerosis (where fatty deposits narrow your arteries), which can lead to coronary heart disease and stroke.
How do I determine my ideal weight?
Here are general guidelines.
- If your BMI is less than 18.5, it falls within the “underweight” range.
- If your BMI is 18.5 to 24.9, it falls within the “normal” or Healthy Weight range.
- If your BMI is 25.0 to 29.9, it falls within the “overweight” range.
- If your BMI is 30.0 or higher, it falls within the “obese” range.
Why do doctors still use BMI?
Health professionals have been using body mass index, or BMI, to help decide whether people are overweight or underweight for more than 100 years. Researchers in population studies, doctors, personal trainers, and others use the BMI in their work.
How do I know if I am overweight for my age?
A result between 18.5 and 24.9 means you’re in the “normal” weight range for your height. If your result is under 18.5, you’re considered underweight. Between 25 and 29.9 means you ‘re considered overweight. And if your number is 30 to 35 or more, you’re considered obese.
What weight is considered skinny?
Less than 18.5 is underweight. From 18.5 to 24.9 is a healthy weight. From 25 to 29.9 is overweight. More than 30 is obese.
What BMI should a man be?
Body Mass Index (BMI) for Men An ideal BMI for an adult man is between 18.5 and 24.9.